Tuesday, December 9, 2008

To Recruit or not to Recruit

Deciding on what to work on is not always an easy decision. When I end my evening I decide on what I am going to work on the next day and I begin to build my call list... In this so called "economy", that may sound weird, "choosing what to work on", but in our line of work you always have a choice. I once read don't compete unless you have an competitive advantage. I completely agree with that and that is how I decide what to work on.

The way I see it, is that I do not see the competitive advantage with throwing all your heart, mind, and soul into a position that everyone, and yes I mean everyone in town is working on. See that is how I recruit, 100 miles an hour and with passion. I would rather work on a position that is a harder fill and in my core technology, than work on a simple position that every Tom, Dick and Harry is working on. Just because a manager says you can work on something does not always mean you should.

I am not afraid of competition, in fact I value it, but I feel my skills are not valued by a client if they just let any and everyone in town work on an open position. I am very good at what I do and when a client does not see my value then I will take my skills elsewhere; client and company.

"If you're good at something, never do it for free".
Diesal

No comments: